Saturday, 26 December 2015

Pole-axed by The Green Fairy...


When first you get into Steampunk, you very swiftly learn that absinthe plays a large part in your new hobby, so in order to fully embrace the genre it's essential to partake of the aforementioned liquor. However, at 55% abv absinthe is to be partaken with extreme caution!

Christmas Day seemed as good a time as any for my first dalliance with the Green Fairy, so after the conventional festive revelries were all done and dusted I tentatively poured myself a large tot of the decadent emerald booze. Obviously, I'd researched the appropriate serving suggestions and although my modern kitchen is sadly not furnished with a traditional absinthe glass and spoon, a wine glass and a tea strainer seemed to suffice. As I gently dripped the ice cold water onto a heap of sugar (no cubes in the cupboard) I witnessed the 'louche' and mentally prepared myself for this new experience.

Quite what happened a short while after that remains a mystery, but I woke (regained consciousness?) on Boxing Day with a stonking headache and a strong licorice taste in my mouth. I'm not entirely certain whether or not I enjoyed myself, but it was something I'd never done before and I can now tick it off my list of new things to try in 2015. Here's to many more firsts in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment